The history of the magnificent Wallpaper Hall in the World Heritage Centre Wismar
Volume 2 of the series of publications from the World Heritage Centre of the Hanseatic City of Wismar is dedicated to the Wallpaper Hall in Lübsche Straße 23. The building's use as a visitors' centre means that both the house and the hall are open to the public.When more than 200 years ago it became possible to print large scenic motifs on individual sheets of paper, panoramic wallpaper began to make its way into the homes of the wealthier classes. The then owner Gabriel Lembke selected the "Telemachus on the Island of Calypso" cycle. He had this exquisite spatial decoration produced by the renowned Parisian manufactory Dufour & Leroy. In 1828, Fölker - the paperhanger - pasted the sheets onto canvas-covered frames and in doing so skilfully concealed the half-timbered walls. This book describes the Wallpaper Hall's various uses and conversion phases, the challenging restoration of the wall decoration following its theft, and its fortunate recovery. Learn how to read the exciting pictorial tale of Telemachus and in which places wallpapers with this motif can still be found today.