Anglesey Central Railway
High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! The Anglesey Central Railway (Welsh: Lein Amlwch, Amlwch Line) was a 17.5 miles (28 kilometers) long railway in Anglesey, Wales, connecting the port of Amlwch and the county town of Llangefni with the North Wales Coast Line at Gaerwen. Built as an independent railway, the railway opened in portions from 1864 to 1867. Due to financial troubles the railway was sold to the London and North Western Railway in 1876, who invested significantly in the infrastructure. Operation continued under various companies during the twentieth century, but passenger services were withdrawn in 1964 as part of the Beeching Axe. Industrial freight services continued until 1993. The railway's tracks have been left in situ, and local groups have demonstrated an interest in restoring services. Alternative proposals have been made by the sustainable transport charity Sustrans to use the route as a cycle path. The line's future is unclear.